Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mark McKinnon Refuses to Attack Obama

I Just Thought This Was Interesting.

From a National Journal interview with Republican media strategist Mark McKinnon, who says he plans to leave John McCain's campaign if Barack Obama wins the Democratic nomination (via PoliticalWire):

"Well, this goes back to a memo that I wrote to the campaign when I came aboard more than a year and a half ago, and I simply let them know that I had spent time with Obama and read his book and I like the guy. I think he has strong character and a fascinating life story, and I disagree with him fundamentally on issues like Iraq and trade and a number of others. But I just flashed forward to the improbable scenario, at that time seemingly improbable, that John McCain and Barack Obama might face off against one other. And I just told them at the time that I thought that I would be uncomfortable being on the front lines -- being as aggressive as you need to be in a presidential campaign -- and not only that I would be uncomfortable, but that it would be bad for the campaign, and that if that circumstance were to come to be, that I would just take a step to the sidelines and continue to support John McCain 100 percent and be No. 1 fan and cheerleader. But just kind of take myself out of the front lines."

The lesson here for me is: Even if you disagree with some of Obama's policies, you might consider voting for him based on his integrity and inspiring political style.

Update: The New York Sun reports on "Obamacans": Republicans so disgusted with their party's warmongering and profligate spending that they're crossing the party line to support Barack.